Steps to Attend the Ninth International Healthy Buildings Conference and Exhibition:
- Determine if you need to obtain a visa for travel to the US, or any transit visas, depending on your travel itinerary. If you already have a visa that will be valid for the duration of your time in the US for the conference or don't need a visa, proceed to step 5. We highly recommend that you do not make non-refundable travel arrangements until you secure your visa.
- If you do need a visa: Begin the process to obtain your visa immediately. United States visa offices are very busy, and it can take several weeks, or even months, to obtain a visa. Begin the visa application process a minimum of eight to 12 weeks prior to September 13, 2009.
- Learn more about how to obtain a visa to travel to the US: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html
- Contact your nearest United States embassy or consulate to schedule an appointment for your visa interview: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/embassies/embassies_1214.html
- You may need an official letter of invitation from the conference organizers to start the visa acquisition process. Click here to request an invitation letter. The deadline to request a letter of invitation is July 12, 2009. Your request will be processed and your letter of invitation returned to you via e-mail within a week. The letter of invitation does not financially obligate the conference organizers in any way. All expenses incurred in relation to the conference are the sole responsibility of the delegate.
- Attend your visa interview. From past experience, there are several things that the visa officer will be looking for at your visa interview:
- Evidence that you have compelling reasons to return to your country and are not going to attempt to stay in the United States.
- Evidence that you have enough money for your trip.
- We suggest that you bring the following items, if available, with you to obtain your visa, especially if you have never applied for a US visa in the past:
- Marriage certificate
- Children's birth certificates
- Evidence of property ownership
- Past travel history, including evidence that you have traveled abroad before and successfully returned to your country.
- Pay stubs from current employer
- Bank account statements
- Letter of invitation from the Healthy Buildings 2009 Conference
Healthy Buildings 2009 is not able to reimburse you for any of the costs associated with obtaining your travel visa. Similarly, we do not provide any travel or medical insurance.
- If your visa is granted during your interview, congratulations! You may now proceed with arranging the logistics to attend conference.
However, once you have secured your visa and made your air travel plans, you must make sure to secure any transit visas that you may need depending upon your travel itinerary. It is your responsibility to find out what transit visas are necessary for your specific travel itinerary.
- Register for ISIAQ's Healthy Buildings 2009 Conference hosted by the SyracuseCoE
- View HB2009 conference registration categories and pricing, and refund policy
- Book your travel arrangements and hotel accommodations
- Travel to the conference - visitors entering the United States must clear US Customs Border Security upon entry. Visit the US Customs and Border Security website for more information about procedures, requirements, and documents for entering the US: www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/
- Come to the conference. Be sure to check out our web site frequently to view the most current information about the conference. We look forward to seeing you on September 13, 2009 in Syracuse, New York.
- Return to your home country within the guidelines of your visa to ensure your ability to obtain a visa in the future. Learn the exit customs guidelines for the US, and the customs guidelines for your country to determine what goods or money you will be allowed to bring home with you.